I’m Jessica. I was born on September 25, 1989 to two Lebanese folks in Detroit, Michigan. My parents were born and raised in Lebanon but migrated over to the United States after they were married which carried onto having their 6 children here resulting in the (halal) hamburger loving American citizens that we are. I have 5 siblings other than myself, which always makes for good blogs. Three sisters, two brothers. I am pursuing a BFA at a private arts college in graphic design and plan on doing something with my life using this degree. Or my looks. That was a joke, seriously. I’ve been designing since I was 11 and I don’t plan to stop unless I am forced to by a doctor in which he ties my hand to a giant plant – which would make it very hard to type and use a mouse. But then I’d probably just learn to use my left hand.
Quite shy the first few years of high school, I grew out of my shell only to become a lot more outgoing and outspoken. Whether it was writing controversial articles for my school newspaper, making youtube videos that everyone watched or joining the varsity tennis team, I lived my life but stayed within the law. Partying is not my thing – I enjoy hanging out with close friends and traveling the world while experiencing new cultures versus getting wasted at a club and not even remembering who I was with or what I did the night before. I speak borderline fluent Arabic (I can carry a pretty damn good conversation) a tiny bit of french and no Russian whatsoever. Although I just felt it would be nice to add that in there to make it seem like I had some foreign flair. I’m also a Muslim and I take my religion quite seriously.
I love all types of music. Hot Hot Heat, The Killers and Coldplay are just some of my favorite bands. Miley Cyrus isn’t bad either. Oh whatever don’t act like Party In The USA isn’t on your ipod. Hayao Miyazaki is someone I would love to meet, I love and respect all of his movies. I’ve watched almost all of them as well. One of my favorites is Howls Moving Castle, followed by Spirited Away. Some other movies I like are The Butterfly Effect, Beauty And The Beast and Johnny English. Grave of the Fireflies made me cry, so if you can sit through it and not bust out a tear, you must have no feelings.
I’ve lived in Lebanon for 6 months in 2000, but then returned back home to the US. For 9 years I hadn’t gotten the chance to go back to Lebanon but I went back for vacation for 2 months in 2009. I’ve also lived (and barely survived) with my uncle and his family for three weeks in Switzerland. I’ve visited places such as Chicago, Jordan, Dubai, Qatar, Syria, Germany and Tennessee. Even though I don’t get the chance often – I love to travel! I hope and plan to visit Tokyo, Beijing, Seoul, Lisbon, Vienna, Marseilles, Ho Chi Minh, Venice and Paris sometime in my mysterious future.
- When people tell me to “shut up” (whether they’re joking or not)
- Being told to “Shhh”
- When people sing along to songs in the car
- Excessive swearing
- People who wear real fur
- The sound when people crack their fingers
- When people bother me while I’m listening to music
- Intentionally being woken up in the morning for something stupid
- I have a bad paranoia of holding glass jars.
- I hate wooden walls. Especially in basements.
- I hate black and white checkered floors. They’re creepy.
- I am a huge animal rights advocate.
- I love design that I can’t explain.
- I laugh and smile a lot, even in serious situations. It’s a bad habit of mine.
- I have glasses and contacts; my vision is horrible.
- I think I’ve acquired an allergy towards raw carrots and lettuce.
- I love playing video games; my favorites are Zelda.
- I used to sleep on a Jigglypuff pillow.
- I have only one (small) dimple on my left cheek.
- My favorite composer is Yann Tiersen.
- I’ve been nicknamed Turkey, Ebola, Skittles, Smurf and Youtube.
- I used to have 2 mice, 8 cats (most were kittens), a rabbit, and a few birds.
- I have a scar on my forehead (not very visible) when I fell off a mattress and hit the metal side of the bed around the age of 3.
- When I was younger I fell into a thorn bush.
- My favorite movie of all time is Howls Moving Castle, followed by Beauty and the Beast.
- I was nicknamed turkey during my JV tennis season because my coach said I looked like one.
- I won my tennis teams (JV) MVP award for the best singles record.
- My favorite gymnast is Nadia Comaneci.
- I want to watch most scary movies but I’m too scared to actually watch them.
- My favorite actress is Mandy Moore, followed by Rachel McAdams.
- I hate wearing what someone else is wearing at school.
- I like turning on the TV, even when I don’t watch it; I just like having it on.
- I have really long eyelashes.
- I hate drooping earlobes; I think they are disgusting.
- I love learning about US history.
- I’m scared of the ocean.
- My favorite cereal is Capn’ Crunch.
- I feel extremely uncomfortable while riding in dirty cars, or being in dirty places.
- I love reading Archie Comics.